Roasted Rosemary Chicken and Vegetables
Recipe submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Sarah from California.
Serving size: 1 piece chicken and 3/4 cup vegetables
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2" thick
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2" wedges
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Combine the zucchini, carrots, onion, garlic and oil in a 13" x 9" roasting pan. Season with pepper and toss to coat. Roast until vegetables are heated through, about 10 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, lift up the skin from the chicken breasts and rub the flesh with pepper and rosemary. Replace the skin, and then season the chicken all over with additional pepper and rosemary, as desired.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven, and place the chicken, skin sides up, on top of the vegetables. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender (about 35 minutes).
- If additional flavor is desired, you may also use Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend or herbed poultry seasoning for the chicken rub.
- Goes well with a side of rice or bread.
- Chicken should be cooked through until juices run clear when cut into or a temperature of 165° F is reached.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories: 263
- Protein: 31 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 82 mg
- Sodium: 114 mg
- Potassium: 611 mg
- Phosphorus: 268 mg
- Calcium: 70 mg
- Fiber: 3.3 g
Renal and Renal Diabetic Food Choices
- 4 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- If you are on a lower protein diet, reduce the chicken portion to match your meal plan.