Creamy Shells with Peas and Bacon
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, uncooked
- 1 cup onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat small shell pasta, uncooked
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in large pot for cooking pasta.
- Cut butter into pieces. Place ricotta, Parmesan cheese, butter and pepper in a bowl large enough to hold cooked pasta.
- Cut bacon into 1/4” strips. In a medium, nonstick skillet over medium heat add oil and bacon and fry until crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Add onion to the same skillet and cook until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to the bowl with ricotta mixture.
- Boil pasta. When pasta is about 1 minute shy of al dente (still slightly hard), add peas and continue to cook for 1 minute. Reserving 1-cup cooking water, drain pasta and peas.
- Add 1/2-cup cooking water and lemon juice to ricotta mixture and whisk until smooth. Add pasta and peas to bowl and toss to coat, adding more reserved cooking water as necessary to moisten pasta. Stir in crisp bacon and add additional pepper to taste.