Feta Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound slender asparagus spears
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Trim asparagus and cut on diagonal into 1” pieces. Cut chicken into cubes.
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add pasta, and cook as instructed on box or about 8 to 10 minutes. Do not add salt. Drain, and set aside.
Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, and season with pepper and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels.
Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Add asparagus, chopped garlic, a pinch more of garlic powder, oregano and pepper.
Cover and steam until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 minutes.
Return chicken to the skillet, and warm through.
Stir chicken mixture into pasta and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes.
Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir again, and then sprinkle with feta cheese.