Jollof Rice with Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash herb seasoning
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 3/4 cup green beans
- 3/4 cup bell peppers
- 3/4 cup cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound long-grain rice, uncooked
- parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Cut chicken into small cubes and season with Mrs. Dash® seasoning.
- Chop carrots, green beans, bell peppers, and cauliflower. Finely chop garlic and jalapeno peppers.
- Combine the chopped carrots, green beans, bell peppers and cauliflower in a bowl. Divide in half.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and fry until golden brown.
- Move chicken to a large saucepan. Add 3-cups chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until chicken begins to soften.
- Place onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers in the frying pan used to brown chicken. Sauté until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, half the chopped vegetables and 1-cup reserved chicken stock. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked vegetable mixture to the saucepan with chicken and stock; simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in uncooked rice and continue simmering for 15 minutes.
- Place remaining chopped vegetables on top of rice. Simmer until rice absorbs all the stock and is fully cooked (add additional water if needed).
- Garnish and serve.