Macaroni and Cheese
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 cup whole wheat rotini pasta, uncooked
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to box instructions, omitting salt.
- In a saucepan on low heat, melt butter. Add garlic and simmer for one minute. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add 1/2 cup milk and whisk to make a sauce. Add more milk to desired consistency. Simmer sauce on low-medium heat, being careful not to burn.
- Add a few sprinkles of the red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.
- Mix sauce with the cooked pasta and enjoy!