Mrs. B’s Pierogies
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 medium sweet onions
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup margarine
- To reduce potassium in potatoes use the Double Cook method. Peel and slice potatoes 1/8" thick. Place in a large pot of room temperature water and heat to a boil. Remove from heat and drain the water. Add fresh room temperature water and boil potatoes for 10 minutes. Drain the water and add fresh water to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft enough to mash.
- Mash potatoes together with the cheese and set aside.
- Place flour in a medium bowl. Beat eggs and add to flour mixture. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time to make a dough that is easily rolled (more or less water may be required dending upon humidity).
- Allow dough to stand 10 minutes before rolling.
- Divide dough into three balls. Roll one at a time into 1/8" thickness. Cut into 12 squares or use a drinking glass to cut into 12 circles.
- Place approximately 2 tablespoons of the potato-cheese mixture in the center of each square.
- Fold edges to meet and press moderately firm to seal edges. You can use a little extra flour if necessary.
- Set formed pierogies on waxed paper and allow to sit at least one hour before boiling.
- Thinly slice the onions. Spray a medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray, add onions, and sauté over low heat for approximately 5 minutes. Add margarine, and continue to sauté on low heat until onions are soft and golden. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Divide pierogies into 3 batches and place first batch into the boiling water and reduce to a slow boil. When the pierogies float on top, they are ready, approximately 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Repeat with next 2 batches.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray. Add the sautéed onions and boiled pierogies. Cook over low-medium heat until pierogis are just lightly golden.