- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 tablespoon cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 1/4 cup tomato
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger root
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon split chick peas (chana dahl)
- 1 teaspoon split black beans (urad dahl)
- 1/2 cup Cream of Wheat® quick cooking cereal, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Chop cashew nuts. Dice onion, carrot and tomato. Chop cilantro and jalapeno pepper. Grate ginger root.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok on the stove top over medium to high heat. When oil starts changing its color, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start to pop, turn the heat to medium low and add split chick peas (Chana dahl) and black beans (urad dahl). Stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon and add chopped cashew nuts. Fry until the peas and cashew nuts turn golden brown. Add cumin.
- Add onion and saute to golden brown. Add tomatoes, carrots, peas, curry leaves, cilantro and ginger and cook until tomatoes soften.
- Add cream of wheat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat water to a boil. Add salt and stir in boiling water without forming lumps. Mixture becomes semi-solid consistency. Keep stirring until the water evaporates. Turn the heat to low and close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Sprinkle lemon juice and fluff with a fork. Divide into 2 portions and serve.