Chajita Chicken Sandwich
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 4 teaspoons salsa
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 4 teaspoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Slice chicken breasts into strips. Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a skillet, sauté chicken, onions, bell pepper and seasonings (cumin, garlic and onion powders) in coconut oil for 8 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Stir occasionally. If mixture in skillet becomes too dry, add water. Turn off heat when chicken is fully cooked.
- Turn on Panini maker or George Foreman Grill. Or set a dry skillet on medium heat.
- Combine salsa and sour cream. Spread 2 teaspoons salsa mixture on a slice of bread for each sandwich.
- Spoon 1/4 of chicken mixture on top of bread with salsa mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cheddar cheese on top of chicken mixture for each sandwich. Put the second piece of bread on top.
- Put sandwich in Panini maker or George Foreman Grill for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted. If using a skillet, toast for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted on one side, and then flip the sandwich and press down with a spatula to cook the second side for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted.