Grilled Chicken Pesto Pizza
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 Pizza Dough (see DaVita.com recipe)
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup purple onion
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil for the grill
Dice the bell peppers, onion and chives. Chop or shred the chicken.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the diced peppers and onion. Add the tomato pesto and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside for later.
- Roll or stretch the pizza dough to a 10-inch circle or rectangular shape. Set on a floured, rimless pizza sheet or sheet pan (unless you are using an oiled grill pizza pan). Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Oil the grill surface and preheat the grill to hot heat.
- Put pizza dough on the grill (no toppings yet), and grill for about 2 to 3 minutes. Check bottom for browning; bubbles will form on top. Reduce to medium-high heat if needed to prevent burning. When light brown marks are visible on the bottom of the pizza dough, take the dough off the grill and place pizza dough with grill marks up.
- Top the pizza dough with the bell pepper, onion and pesto mixture. Top with the chicken, Romano cheese followed by the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the pizza back on the well-oiled grill or grill pan. Grill for another 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted and the bottom of pizza is browned.
- Remove the pizza from the grill and garnish with chopped chives. Cut into 4 slices and serve.