Pineapple Seafood Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup celery
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cups fresh pineapple
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 pound bay scallops, uncooked
- 3/4 pound cooked shrimp
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 green lettuce leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground mixed peppercorns
- Cut approximately 1/3 off of the bottom of the red bell pepper and chop it into fine pieces to yield 1/2 cup. Slice the remaining pepper into thin strips for garnish.
- Mince shallot, red onion and celery. Chop cilantro. Cut pineapple into tidbit size. Cut lemon into slices.
- Spray a 12-inch skillet with non-stick cooking spray, add oil and minced shallot and heat over medium heat. Watch carefully, stirring frequently until shallots are tender but NOT browned.
- Add lemon juice, wine (or low-sodium vegetable broth) and scallops. Over medium heat, simmer, stirring constantly, approximately 2 minutes or until scallops are opaque, but not overcooked.
- Immediately remove from heat and drain in a colander. Discard liquids and transfer cooked scallops to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the shrimp, pineapple, bell pepper, onion, celery, cilantro and mayonnaise; stir until ingredients are combined.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
- Line a dinner plate with the leaf lettuce and transfer the seafood salad to the plate. Lightly sprinkle with freshly ground black mixed peppercorns to taste. If desired, garnish plate with remaining red pepper strips, lemon wedges, and cilantro sprigs.