Chile Colorado Sauce (Basic Red Chili Sauce)
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried red chili powder
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
In a medium saucepan heat canola oil and sauté onions and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the flour until blended; add the cumin and oregano. Cook and stir for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Add chili powder and stir to blend. Return pan to heat and add 2-1/2 cups water, salt and sugar.
- Heat sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate sauce until ready to use. Makes 2-1/2 cups.