Eggplant Seafood Casserole
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/3 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 medium eggplant
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 cup celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco® hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1/2 pound boiled shrimp
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop onion, bell pepper and celery. Peel and dice eggplant into 1” cubes.
- Place eggplant in a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well, place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender but not brown.
- Fold sautéed vegetables into eggplant. Add lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Creole seasonings, Tabasco sauce, rice, parmesan cheese, cayenne and beaten eggs. Stir to mix well.
- Gently fold seafood into vegetable mixture. Place in a greased casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs with melted butter and top casserole.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until topping begins to brown.