Fish Fry with Seasoned Rice
- CKD non-dialysis
3-1/2 ounces fish with 1/2 cup rice
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound frozen cod fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt-free herb seasoning blend
- Thaw fish. Dice the onion.
- In a medium-sized pot add 2 teaspoons oil and sauté the onion.
- Once onion is browned, but not burned, add rice, 2 cups water, 1/2 tea spoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Cook covered for about 20 minutes on medium-low heat.
- In a bowl, add flour, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon black pepper and salt-free seasoning and mix well.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet or fryer. Dry thawed fish with a paper towel to remove all excess water. Dip the fish in the flour mixture and fry in hot oil.
- Serve hot fish with seasoned rice.