South of the Border Shrimp Cocktail
- CKD non-dialysis
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons liquid
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco® hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound large shrimp, raw
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mince garlic and chili pepper. Thinly slice onion and chop cilantro. Peel, seed and dice cucumber. Peel and devein shrimp.
- Combine lime and lemon juice, garlic, ketchup, hot sauce and oregano in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat, add shrimp and cook 1 to 2 minutes until shrimp turns orange. Remove from heat, place in a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- Prepare onion, cilantro, cucumber and chili pepper. Add vegetables and olive oil to cooled shrimp mixture and stir to mix. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Divide shrimp into six cocktail dishes or martini glasses. Pour 2 tablespoons liquid over each cocktail. Garnish with lemon or lime slice and cilantro before serving.