Spicy Seafood Étouffée
1 cup cooked rice and 1/6th of the Étouffée
- 2 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups yellow onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup celery
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 6 ounces lump meat crab
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Steam-cook rice according to package to make 6 cups cooked rice.
- Thinly chop yellow onion, bell pepper, celery and green onions. Mince garlic cloves. Chop parsley. Set green onions and parsley aside for later use.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sauté yellow onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Stir often for about 10 minutes.
- Add seasonings (cayenne, lemon pepper, white pepper, paprika, oregano, thyme and basil), stirring well for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and flour and continue stirring well for 3 minutes.
- Add water, stir, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add seafood, green onion and parsley to simmering water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice and enjoy!