Sweet and Sour Oriental Shrimp
1-1/4 cups over 1/2 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons celery
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup canned, sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 16 ounces large shell-on shrimp, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 2 cups hot cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger root
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Dice celery and onion. Slice bell pepper and carrots. Peel and de-vein shrimp.
Place carrots in a microwave safe dish. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain.
Heat both oils in a large nonstick frying pan or wok. Add celery, onion, green bell pepper and drained water chestnuts. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the cooked carrots and heat. Add shrimp and continue to stir and simmer until the shrimp just turns pink, about 2 minutes. Remove frying pan from heat.
In a small bowl mix together lemon juice, water, brown sugar, soy sauce, grated ginger root and cornstarch.
Stir mixture and add to the vegetables and shrimp. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat. Cook until sauce is thickened.
Divide into 4 portions and serve each over 1/2 cup hot rice.