Thai Pineapple Shrimp and Jasmine Rice(2)
- CKD non-dialysis
3/4 cup + 2/3 cup rice
- 2-3/4 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
- 1-1/2 pound medium shrimp, uncooked
- 4 limes
- 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup red onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/2 cup fresh Thai basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Cook rice according to package directions, omiting salt.
- Place shrimp in a bowl. Squeeze the juice of 2 limes over shrimp and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Dice onion into 1/2" pieces. Mince garlic. Chop mint and basil. Grate ginger.
- In a sauté pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat and add mushrooms, onion and 3/4 of the garlic; sauté for 3 minutes. Add shrimp and chili sauce. Cook and stir until shrimp is pink. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the mint, plus the basil and ginger.
- Add shrimp mixture to the pineapple. Squeeze remaining two limes over mixture; stir and set aside.
- To make the sauce, sauté remaining 1/4 cup mint and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add coconut milk, chicken broth and cayenne pepper.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice and add to sauce, stirring constantly over medium heat, until thickened.
- While sauce is thickening, heat peas in microwave for 3 minutes.
- Combine sauce with shrimp and pineapple mixture and peas.
- Serve 3/4 cup shrimp-pineapple mixture over 2/3 cup jasmine rice. Sprinkle with paprika.