Apple Cider Beef Stew
- 1-1/2 cups potatoes
- 2 pounds stewing beef cubes
- 7 tablespoons all purpose white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups carrots
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 cup apples, peeled
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Dice potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes and soak or double-boil to reduce potassium if you are on a low potassium diet. (See details in helpful hints).
- Mix together 3 tablespoons of the flour, black pepper and thyme.
- Coat beef with flour mixture.
- In a skillet heat oil and brown beef pieces. Set aside.
- Slice carrots, dice onion, celery and peeled apple.
- In Crock-Pot®, layer ingredients as follows: carrots, boiled potatoes, onions, celery, browned beef, and diced apple.
- Mix together cider, 1 cup water and vinegar.
- Pour over ingredients in Crock-Pot and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.
- Before serving, turn Crock-Pot on high. Mix remaining 4 tablespoons flour with 1/2 cup water. Stir into Crock-Pot to thicken stew.