Beef Stew with Carrots and Mushrooms
- 1 cup white potato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 2 cups onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat
- 3/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® Original herb seasoning blend
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel potato and cut into small cubes. Soak or double-boil to reduce potassium if you are on a low potassium diet. (see helpful hints)
- Chop onion and mince garlic cloves. Slice carrots. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large Dutch oven heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender; add mushrooms and thyme; stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add red wine to mixture and stir.
- Coat beef in flour. In a large frying pan heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add half of beef mixture and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend. Cook until browned on all sides. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, beef mixture and 1/8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning blend.
- Add browned beef to mushroom mixture.
- Add thyme, broth and bay leaf to mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Drain potatoes. Stir potatoes and carrot into pot with beef. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally as sauce thickens.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash and black pepper. Discard bay leaf and serve.