Italian Wedding Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons onion
- 2-1/2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup acini de pepe pasta, uncooked
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 2 cups cooked chicken
Slice spinach leaves. Dice carrots and chicken. Mince onion.
Place the beef, beaten eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion in a bowl. Combine thoroughly.
Roll seasoned meat into a 1/2” diameter log. Cut into 80 pieces. Roll into tiny meatballs and set aside.
In a large stockpot heat chicken broth to boiling. Stir in the spinach, pasta, carrots and meatballs. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium.
Cook (stirring frequently) at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente and meatballs are no longer pink inside.
Add diced chicken. Allow chicken to heat thoroughly and serve hot.