Low Sodium Chicken Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cooked
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7-1/2 cups water
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
Dice chicken and set aside. Chop onion, celery and parsley; slice carrots 1/2-inch thick.
Sauté butter and onion in a 4-quart pot for 5 minutes, until tender.
Add water and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Add chicken, celery, parsley and pepper, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add carrots, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add frozen vegetables, cover and simmer 20 minutes longer.