Hearty Squash Casserole
- CKD non-dialysis
1/8 of casserole
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 medium yellow squash
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup sweet onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Process whole wheat bread in food processor until crumbled.
- Slice squash and then microwave with water for 16 minutes or until tender.
- Drain squash well in colander.
- Grate fresh carrots and chop sweet onion.
- Combine squash, carrots, sweet onion, salt, 1 tablespoon flaxseed and eggs. Blend well.
- Add 1/2 of the whole wheat bread crumbs. Mix in.
- Spray 9" square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour mixture into baking pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter and then add remaining bread crumbs and remaining flaxseed to make topping. Mix well.
- Spread topping over casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping starts to brown.
- Cool and cut into 8 servings.