- CKD non-dialysis
- 20 ounces canned hominy
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 1 tablespoon green pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Open hominy and drain in a colander for 2 minutes. Rinse under running water for 30 seconds, then drain for an additional 2 minutes. This reduces sodium by 30-40%.
- Fry bacon. Remove from pan, but keep pan with drippings. When bacon cools, crumble.
- Chop onion and green pepper and add to bacon drippings.
- Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add 1/3 cup water and stir until well blended.
- Add hominy and mix well. If necessary, add more water. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Serve warm, topped with bacon pieces.