Southern Squash Casserole
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup onion
- 6 cups yellow crookneck squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unenriched rice milk
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 16 unsalted tops saltine crackers
- 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Dice onion and slice squash. Set cream cheese out to soften.
- Sauté onions and squash with olive oil until tender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and rice milk.
- Add cheese, cream cheese, pepper and parsley to egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Crush crackers and melt the margarine. Mix together. Remove casserole from oven and add cracker topping. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.