Spicy Chickpeas (Chana Masala)
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 30 ounces canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces canned, diced, unsalted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 lemon wedges
- Chop the onion and cilantro; mince the garlic and ginger. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté onion, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric; mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro and lemon wedge. If desired, serve with naan bread, pita or rice.