Roast Pork with Apples and Cabbage
3-ounces pork and 1/2-cup apple-veggie mixture
- Higher Potassium
Ingredients3-pound boneless pork loin roast
1 large onion
3 medium Granny Smith apples
3 cups green or red cabbage
4 medium carrots
1 slice maple bacon
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Trim excess fat from pork roast. Finely chop onions. Chop bacon slice. Thinly slice apples and cabbage. Peel carrots and chop into large chunks.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork and cook 15 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove pork from the pan.
- Add onion and bacon to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Return pork to pan. Add apples, cabbage, carrots and remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Place pan in oven.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Turn pork over and continue cooking for 30 minutes longer or until meat thermometer registers 155° F.
- Divide leftover pork into individual portions and freeze. Reheat for a quick meal or sandwich later.
- If you are on a lower protein diet adjust portion size to match your meal plan or ask your dietitian for guidance.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Shelli from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 83 mg
Potassium 538 mg
Phosphorus 232 mg
Calcium 35 mg
Fiber 2.9 g
Added Sugar 3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register