Apple Cinnamon Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large apple
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Set butter out to soften. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Peel and finely chop the apple.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine the granulated sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder; continue to mix until combined. Add the milk and blend into the batter.
- Pour half of the prepared batter into the loaf pan then top with half of the chopped apples and half of the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Pour on the remaining batter. Add the remaining apples, pat down lightly into the batter with the back of a spoon. Top with the remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture and again, pat down lightly.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring from the loaf pan to a cooling rack.
- Cut the cooled loaf into twelve 3/4-inch slices.
- Reduce the carbohydrate to 26 grams and calories to 197 per slice by substituting a sugar/sugar substitute baking blends for the brown and granulated sugars.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Tara from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 36 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 52 mg
Sodium 66 mg
Potassium 77 mg
Phosphorus 105 mg
Calcium 76 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Added Sugar 20 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 high-calorie
- 1-1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register