Apple Zucchini Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 3-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple
- 2 medium zucchini
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease and flour two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans using 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Peel and chop apples; shred zucchini.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, granulated sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar (or 6 tablespoons Splenda® Brown sugar blend) and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, mix baking soda, 3-1/2 cups flour, salt and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Do not over mix.
- Fold in apples and zucchini and pour mixture into loaf pans. Spread mixture evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, prepare the crumb topping: combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar (or 2 tablespoons Splenda® brown sugar blend), and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture becomes very crumbly.
- Take the bread out of the oven once it has baked for 40 minutes and add the crumb topping.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (from the center of the loaf).
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove loaves from pans and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each loaf into 16 slices before serving.
- If using Splenda® sugar substitute in place of sugar, carbohydrate is decreased to 13 g per serving.
- If substituting Splenda® Brown sugar blend sweetener for brown sugar reduc to 8 tablespoons.
- Wrap one loaf in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag to serve at a later time.
- For a lower fat version substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for the vegetable oil.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitians Brittany and Holly from Illinois.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 24 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 108 mg
Potassium 74 mg
Phosphorus 35 mg
Calcium 16 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Added Sugar 11 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register