- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 packages dry active yeast
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour (divided)
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup mustard
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add canola oil and half of the flour. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Add remaining flour and knead for 5 minutes.
- Cover and let dough rest for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces. Roll into 18” lengths and twist into pretzel shape. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Add baking soda to 6 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add pretzels to boiling water for 1 minute then transfer to a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Serve each pretzel with 1/2 teaspoon mustard.
- Choose the mustard brand lowest in sodium.
- You may need to add additional water to keep water level up in pot. Add pretzels in small batches.
Submitted by: Recipe submitted DaVita dietitian Kathy, MS, RD, LDN, CSR, from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 24 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 188 mg
Potassium 47 mg
Phosphorus 40 mg
Calcium 6 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register