- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2-1/2 cups fresh strawberries or 14 ounces no-sugar-added frozen strawberries
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F degrees.
- Finely chop the strawberries.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the canola oil and strawberries and stir well.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture.
- Use a large spoon and mix until well blended; do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into two ungreased 9" x 5" loaf pans. Bake 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then use a knife to loosen the sides of the bread from the loaf pans and remove gently. Finish cooling on a rack.
- Serve or wrap the bread in plastic wrap or foil to keep it fresh. Loaves can be refrigerated or frozen.
- Check if loaves are cooked through by inserting a toothpick down into the center. If it comes out clean, the loaf is done.
- Refrigeration keeps the berries fresher-tasting in the bread.
- For people with diabetes, substitute Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking for sugar and low cholesterol egg product for eggs. 1 slice equals 206 calories, 23 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams fat and 0 mg cholesterol.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped strawberries is approximately 14 ounces.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Gaye from Tennessee.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Sodium 157 mg
Potassium 64 mg
Phosphorus 39 mg
Calcium 10 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
24 servings SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register