Florida Key Lime Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 14 ounces canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt butter and add graham cracker crumbs and sugar; mix thoroughly. Save 1 to 2 tablespoons crumb mixture to sprinkle on top of pie.
- Press into a 9-inch pie shell. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl add lime juice and condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
- With a chilled bowl and chilled beaters, use hand-mixer to whip the heavy cream to a stiff peak. Fold the cream into the condensed milk mixture.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust and sprinkle leftover crumb mixture on top.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with lime zest if desired.
- This pie may be frozen for a frosty dessert.
- This very rich dessert makes a wonderful occasional special treat. It is not recommended for people with diabetes due to the high carbohydrate and fat content.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Peggy from Florida.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 47 g
Fat 24 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 144 mg
Potassium 253 mg
Phosphorus 175 mg
Calcium 176 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Added Sugar 22 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 high calorie
- 1 milk
- 3 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register