Elegant and Easy Lemon Rice with Vegetables
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1-1/2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® original herb seasoning
- 10 tablespoons rice, uncooked
- Slice celery and chop onion. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- Sauté celery and onion in 1-1/2 tablespoons margarine in a large skillet.
- Stir in water, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, pepper and Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice, allow water to boil again then cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Melt remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons of margarine in a small skillet. Sauté mushrooms until tender.
- Spoon mushrooms into rice mixture and stir to combine. Serve hot and enjoy.
- Lemon zest is the colored portion of the lemon skin. It contains the lemon oil and adds flavor when added to foods.
- To remove the zest, use a citrus zester, paring knife or vegetable peeler.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Bev from Maryland.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 13 mg
Potassium 143 mg
Phosphorus 37 mg
Calcium 22 mg
Fiber 0.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register