Grilled Salmon Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 4 ounces salmon fillets (4 each)
- 1/4 cup chipotle mayonnaise
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Rub salmon fillets with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Place salmon fillets on the grill and cover. Cook until the flesh flakes easily, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining olive oil, lime juice and lemon-pepper seasoning."#4. While salmon is resting, brush the sourdough bread with olive oil and place on the grill grates and grill 1-2 minutes on each side, or until toasted.
- Remove salmon from grill, and allow to rest, covered with foil on a plate for 5-10 minutes. Remove the skin.
- While salmon is resting, place sourdough bread on grill grates and allow 1-2 minutes on each side, or until toasted.
- To assemble the open faced sandwich, start with sourdough bread, and top with an even amount of chipotle mayo, then the arugula, salmon, and top with the roasted red peppers.
- For a lower protein meal plan divide salmon fillets in half. Protein content is 15 grams per sandwich.
- Consider adding diced scallions or chives for garnish.
- Be sure there is no added salt in the lemon-pepper seasoning by looking at the ingredient list.
- If you don’t like salmon, try using a different fish, such as cod or trout.
- Sourdough bread could be substituted with other types of breads.
- Chipotle mayonnaise has a slightly spicy/smoky flavor. If you dislike these flavors, easily substitute pesto sauce, plain mayonnaise, or dijonnaise (Dijon mustard and mayonnaise mixed).
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Joseph from Maryland.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 384 mg
Potassium 640 mg
Phosphorus 268 mg
Calcium 45 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register