Southwest Pasta Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 8 ounces dry rotini pasta
- 8 ounces canned corn kernels, no salt added
- 8 ounces canned black beans, no salt added
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper
- 1/4 small purple onion
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2/3 cup low-sodium Italian dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Cook the pasta until tender but still firm, about 8 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain.
- Drain and rinse the corn and black beans. Dice the bell peppers and onion. Chop the basil.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Make it a meal by adding chopped chicken.
- Whole grain pasta instead of refined pasta can be used to boost the fiber content even more.
- Try the davita.com Italian Dressing recipe instead of bottled Italian dressing if low sodium is unavailable.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Amie from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 103 mg
Phosphorus 116 mg
Calcium 12 mg
Fiber 3.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register