Taco Pasta Salad
1 cup pasta salad, 1 cup lettuce
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 12 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 8 cups iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons hot taco sauce
- 1/2 cup canned diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and rinse until cooled.
- Mince garlic; slice green onions; chop bell pepper; shred lettuce.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and salsa. Mix into the pasta.
- Add hot taco sauce, garlic, chilies and olives to pasta and stir.
- Sprinkle green onions and bell pepper over top of pasta mixture. Cover and refrigerate to chill.
- Before serving, sprinkle cheese on top of pasta salad (optional). For each serving, place 1-cup shredded lettuce on a salad plate. Top lettuce bed with 1-cup Taco Pasta Salad.
- Look for canned or bottled hot taco sauce.
- Compare labels and choose the brands of salsa, green chilies, olives and taco sauce lowest in sodium.
- Look for queso anejo, a Mexican cheese that easily crumbles. If unavailable, buy the shredded cheese labeled "Mexican." Cheese and olives are optional.
- Make a wrap with flat bread or flour tortilla and Taco Pasta Salad with lettuce inside.
Submitted by: Recipe provided by DaVita patient, Gretchen, and submitted by DaVita dietitian Arlene from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 36 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Sodium 205 mg
Potassium 261 mg
Phosphorus 128 mg
Calcium 97 mg
Fiber 2.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register