Old Fashioned Salmon Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 pound sockeye salmon, cooked
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Chop carrot, celery and onion.
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan on stove top burner set to medium-high heat. Add the vegetables to the saucepan and cook until tender.
- Add the pre-cooked salmon chunks to the pan.
- Stir in the chicken broth, milk and black pepper. Bring mixture to a near-boil, but do not boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Combine the cornstarch and water. Slowly pour into broth mixture, stirring, until the soup is thickened.
- Simmer for another five minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
- You can substitute boneless canned salmon for fresh, but replace reduced-sodium broth with low-sodium broth to keep sodium content lower.
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita patient Gloria, and modified and submitted by DaVita dietitian Joyce from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 14 g
Carbohydrates 9 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Sodium 113 mg
Potassium 369 mg
Phosphorus 218 mg
Calcium 92 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 milk
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register