Have you been dreaming of a vacation in sunny central Florida, but hesitated because you are on dialysis? Well, pack away your worries and pack your bags, because with 13 DaVita® centers in the Orlando area, you can enjoy all the exciting attractions and family fun while still getting the care you need.
Orlando is Florida’s largest inland city. Picturesque orange groves and green pastures are nestled just outside the bustling downtown area. Summer daytime temperatures reach into the mid 90s and winter daytime temperatures are typically in the low 70s, something to keep in mind when booking and packing for your trip. With the Atlantic Ocean approximately 50 miles to the east and the Gulf of Mexico about 100 miles to the west, if you want to go swimming you may want to stay in a hotel with a pool, visit one of the city’s 100 lakes, or check out a water park to cool off and enjoy the Florida sunshine.
Orlando is a world-class city offering entertainment, recreation, art and culture, shopping, dining and professional sports teams, including the National Basketball Association’s Orlando Magic (407-89-MAGIC). Each year about 52 million tourists travel to this family-friendly vacation destination because there’s something fun for all ages and activity levels. Tourist attractions are what make Orlando unique. When Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom® opened in 1971, tourism became a lucrative business for the area and put Orlando on the map as a destination city. While a week could easily be spent vacationing at Walt Disney World® alone, Orlando offers more than just Disney magic.
Popular Orlando/Celebration attractions
Here are some of the area’s most famous attractions along with links to contact information for location, tickets, pricing, show times or hours of operation.
- Celebration Town Center (407-566-4007) — Sample the local cuisine at a variety of restaurants, shop at some of the finest boutiques, or attend one of the many special events held here each month. You’re sure to celebrate good times in Celebration.
- Cirque du Soleil® — A stunning mix of unbelievable acrobatics, dazzling choreography, whimsical characters and live music are on display at the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Gatorland® (800-393-5297) — A 110-acre alligator theme park and wildlife preserve, located just minutes away from Sea World, Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. It’s one of Orlando’s oldest theme parks and a uniquely Florida attraction.
- Medieval Times® Dinner and Tournament (866-543-9637) — Go back in time to the Middle Ages. Visit the Kissimmee, FL Medieval Times castle and watch jousting in a 1,100-seat arena and enjoy a feast the way you would have in the 11th Century — with your hands.
- Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf® (407-352-7378) — The legends of infamous pirates come to life as you enter the world of 18th century buccaneers. Adventure golf courses are surrounded by sunken ships, cascading waterfalls, dreaded pirate dungeons and lush, tropical vegetation.
- Sea World® Orlando (888-800-5447) — The world’s premiere marine adventure park features 200 acres of spectacular shows, thrilling rides and unforgettable animal encounters.
- Silver Springs® (352-236-2121) — About 90 miles outside of Orlando you can view all of Florida’s natural wonders in this 350-acre natural theme park. Ride on a world-famous glass bottom boat along the crystal clear Silver River, the largest artesian spring formation in the world, and view underwater wildlife. You can also walk along the grounds and experience Florida’s natural habitats.
- Sleuths Mystery Dinner Theatre® (800-393-1985) — Play Sherlock Holmes while enjoying dinner and watching a hilarious whodunit with improvisation and audience participation.
- Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights —Thrills and screams abound, with many favorite Universal Studios shriek-inducing rides and attractions open throughout the night. From late September though Oct. 31.
- Universal Orlando® Resort (407-363-8000) —“Feel” the adventure and go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows. Two great parks (Universal’s Islands of Adventure® and Universal Studios Florida®) offer amazing rides and entertaining shows for the whole family.
- Walt Disney World® — (407-939-7675) — Where can you visit the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT®, Disney-MGM Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Park all in one place? In Orlando, of course!
Enjoy a fun, worry-free vacation. The Orlando area is a great destination for a family vacation or a place to visit and feel like a kid again. With a little planning, even those on dialysis can enjoy all that this wonderful, central Florida metropolis has to offer.
Take a Deeper Look at Education
Boost your knowledge by understanding the symptoms, risk factors and stages of kidney disease.
Life with Kidney Disease
Find out how you can partner with your nephrologist, gain emotional support and continue to live well after a kidney disease diagnosis.
From kidney disease basics to treatment options and patient stories, watch videos that will help you learn more about kidney disease.