Tips for a Successful Telehealth Appointment
Are you one of the many DaVita home dialysis patients using the DaVita Care Connect™ mobile app for convenient, virtual care appointments? If you are, or if you’d like to try it, follow these tips to help get the most from your appointment.
Days or Weeks Before Your Appointment
- Schedule a practice appointment with your nurse (before the first appointment with your doctor).
- Check with your care partner on scheduling if you’d both like to attend your appointments.
- Ensure your Wi-Fi or cellular signal is sufficient to connect. Note: Cellular data can work but is not ideal.
- Consider getting headphones with a microphone for optimal sound quality, if you don’t already have some.
An Hour or Two Before Your Appointment
- Dress so you can easily show your exit site, feet and shins.
- Set up your visit space:
- Choose a quiet, private, well-lit indoor area. (You may be asked to move around a little bit, so be sure to have space to do so.)
- Aim to have the brightest lights or a window in front of you, not behind you.
- Set up your phone or tablet so the camera is eye level, it’s stable and you can step back from it.
15 Minutes Before Your Appointment
- Review your most recent vitals and be ready to share them with the care team.
- Have the patient support number handy for assistance: 1-833-803-5542.
- Make sure you’ve allowed the app access to your smartphone’s camera and microphone.
- Turn off TVs and other devices.
- Join the appointment early in case you need extra time connecting or troubleshooting.
During Your Appointment
- Be ready with your vitals and share them with your care team.
- Try to speak loudly into the microphone.
- Share any changes you’ve experienced, such as:
- Decreased urine output since your last visit
- Food tasting differently or unpleasant
- Breathing problems or shortness of breath
- Appetite changes
- Dialysis questions or issues
- Sleeping problems
- Decreased energy and productivity
More than 75% of DaVita home dialysis patients use the Care Connect app to keep track of their appointments and health data, securely message their care teams, and have care appointments from the comfort of home. Click here to learn more about the app.
Take a Deeper Look at Treatment & Services
Get an overview about different dialysis treatments and how they help people continue a productive life.
Understand the benefits of home dialysis, whether it’s peritoneal dialysis (PD) or home hemodialysis (HHD).
Insurance Coverage for Dialysis
When you are diagnosed with kidney disease and need dialysis or a transplant, you’ll want to understand your insurance options, how to receive financial assistance and more.
From tips to helping set up treatments when you travel, DaVita has resources to keep you on the move.
When you need emergency support or dialysis placement, look no further than DaVita® Guest Services.
Five-Star Quality Rating
See how the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recognized many DaVita centers with top marks in its Five-Star Quality Rating program.