Sabzi Koko Sandwich
- CKD non-dialysis
1/4 Koko patty + 1 pita bread
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 white pita breads, 6-inch size
- 4 lemon slices
- Chop parsley, onion, cilantro and garlic. Slightly beat eggs.
- Place all ingredients, except the oil, in a bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet to make one large patty.
- Cover and cook until the mix is golden brown and crispy.
- Turn over gently and brown the other side (like a pancake) without the cover.
- Divide patty into 4 equal portions. Serve with pita bread and a lemon wedge.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 398
- Protein 15 g
- Carbohydrates 37 g
- Fat 21 g
- Cholesterol 264 mg
- Sodium 397 mg
- Potassium 308 mg
- Phosphorus 195 mg
- Calcium 147 mg
- Fiber 3.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 3 fat
- Koko sandwich can be baked instead of fried. Heat oven to 350° F, place mixture in an oiled baking dish and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown. Cut into 4 portions.
- If desired, lavash bread, flour tortilla or white bread may be used in place of the pita bread.
- Use 1-1/4 cup low cholesterol egg product instead of eggs for a low cholesterol dish.