Chile Colorado Sauce (Basic Red Chili Sauce)
- CKD non-dialysis
2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Finelu chop onion and mince garlic.
In a medium saucepan heat canola oil and sauté onions and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the flour until blended; add the cumin and oregano. Cook and stir for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Add chili powder and stir to blend. Return pan to heat and add 2-1/2 cups water, salt and sugar.
- Heat sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate sauce until ready to use. Makes 2-1/2 cups.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 52
- Protein 1 g
- Carbohydrates 3 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 118 mg
- Potassium 134 mg
- Phosphorus 24 mg
- Calcium 23 mg
- Fiber 2.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Chili powder burns easily so stir frequently and be careful not to let your pan get too hot.
- Make chili powder from dried chilies or use store bought chili powder.
- Sauce keeps for 1 week in the refrigerator.
- Use this sauce to make the Chile Colorado recipe from DaVita.com.