Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 red jalapeno chili peppers
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 14 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Peel garlic cloves and de-seed peppers.
- In the blender, purée together all the ingredients, except cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the mixture thickens, and the garlic and pepper begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water to make a slurry.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer one more minute.
- Let cool completely before storing in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 54
- Protein 0 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 68 mg
- Potassium 14 mg
- Phosphorus 3 mg
- Calcium 3 mg
- Fiber 0.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Most comparable bottled sauces contain 400 mg sodium for a 2 tablespoon serving.
- Use Serrano or other chili pepper variety of choice. Skip de-seeding for more heat.
- The cornstarch will help the sauce to thicken slightly, causing nice suspension of the garlic-pepper bits; otherwise, you get a thin sauce with all the little pieces floating on the surface.