Old Fashioned Salmon Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 pound sockeye salmon, cooked
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups liquid nondairy creamer
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Melt margarine in medium-to-large saucepan on stove top set to medium-high heat.
- Chop carrot, celery and onion and add to saoucepan. Cook until tender.
- Add pre-cooked salmon chunks to pan.
- Stir in chicken broth, non-dairy creamer and pepper.
- Bring to a near-boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Slowly pour into broth mixture, stirring, until soup is thickened.
- Simmer for another five minutes.Serve warm and enjoy!
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 216
- Protein 13 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 36 mg
- Sodium 230 mg
- Potassium 320 mg
- Phosphorus 158 mg
- Calcium 14 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1/2 non-dairy creamer
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- Choose a nondairy creamer without phosphate additives. Check with your renal dietitian for suggested brands in your local area.
- You can substitute boneless canned salmon for fresh, but replace reduced-sodium broth with low-sodium broth to keep sodium content lower.