- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup liquid low-cholesterol egg substitute
- 1 English muffin
- 1 turkey sausage patty
- 1 tablespoon shredded natural sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, pour egg product and cook over medium low heat. When egg appears almost cooked through, turn over with a spatula and cook additional 30 seconds.
- Toast English muffin.
- Place turkey sausage patty on a plate, cover with a paper towel and cook in the microwave for 1 minute or the time recommended on package.
- Assemble cooked egg on English muffin (fold to fit muffin). Top with sausage patty, then sharp cheddar cheese and remaining muffin half.
- For comparison, a fast food sausage egg sandwich contains 800 to 1,135 mg sodium, 280 mg phosphorus, 30 grams fat and 255 mg cholesterol.
- Replacing egg with low-cholesterol egg product helps reduce phosphorus, cholesterol and fat.
- English muffin size: 2 ounces; turkey sausage patty size: 1 ounce. Look for sausage with lowest sodium content.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 26 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 32 mg
Sodium 591 mg
Potassium 218 mg
Phosphorus 158 mg
Calcium 174 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
Submitted by: Recipe created exclusively for DaVita.com by submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register