2 small drumsticks
- CKD non-dialysis
1 medium tomato
2 medium onions
2 garlic cloves
1 one-inch cube ginger root
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1-1/2 pounds small chicken drumsticks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or 1/2 teaspoon for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Peel and chop tomato. Mince onion, garlic and ginger root. Remove skin from chicken and discard.
- Heat oil in a large, wide pot over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaves and peppercorns. Stir once.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger. Stir this mixture until the onion picks up brown specks.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix and bring to a boil.
- Cover pot tightly, turn heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir a few times during this cooking period.
- Remove cover and turn up the heat to medium. Sprinkle in the garam masala and cook, stirring gently for about 5 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- The whole spices in this dish should be eaten for optimal flavor.
- Decrease the cayenne pepper to 1/2 teaspoon for a less spicy dish.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 67 mg
Sodium 350 mg
Potassium 286 mg
Phosphorus 139 mg
Calcium 28 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Chhaya from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register