1/8 of pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 unbaked pie shell, 9” size
- 4 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons whipped topping (optional)
- Bake pie shell as directed on package. Set aside to cool.
- Mash 2 cups of the strawberries and combine with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Place ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture is thick and clear. Let cool.
- Slice remaining strawberries and add to cooled mixture.
- Pour into cooled pie shell. Cover and place in refrigerator until chilled.
- Serve with whipped topping if desired.
- Due to the high carbohydrate content, a half portion is recommended if you have diabetes. Sugar substitutes can be used to replace sugar in many recipes. Check with your dietitian for adjustments to recipes or serving size based on your individual carbohydrate requirements.
- If sugar substitute is used instead of sugar, carbohydrate is reduced to 20 grams, carbohydrate choices are reduced to one.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 40 g
Fat 5.4 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 104 mg
Potassium 141 mg
Phosphorus 24 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
- 1 high calorie
- 1 fat
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita dietitian Patty from Oklahoma.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
12 muffins SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register