- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound slender asparagus spears
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Trim asparagus and cut on diagonal into 1” pieces. Cut chicken into cubes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add pasta, and cook as instructed on box or about 8 to 10 minutes. Do not add salt. Drain, and set aside.
- Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, and season with pepper and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels.
- Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Add asparagus, chopped garlic, a pinch more of garlic powder, oregano and pepper.
- Cover and steam until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the skillet, and warm through.
- Stir chicken mixture into pasta and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir again, and then sprinkle with feta cheese.
- One-pound fresh asparagus yields approximately 2 cups when trimmed.
- Feta cheese is very high in sodium. This dish was made low sodium by limiting feta to 1/4 cup, omitting salt and using low-sodium broth.
- 2 average chicken breasts without bones or skin is approximately 8 ounces.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 49 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 110 mg
Potassium 243 mg
Phosphorus 193 mg
Calcium 58 mg
Fiber 2.9 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 3 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jill from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register