3 ounces beef, 3/4 cup vegetables
- 2.5 pound beef chuck pot roast
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium turnips
- 3 large carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Cabernet wine
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Table Blend seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250° F. Dice the celery, onion and turnips; cut the carrots into coins; mince the garlic.
- In a hot pan sear the roast until browned on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the seared roast into a large roasting pan. Add the vegetables, placing around the meat.
- In a small bowl combine the wine, vinegar and spices, and then pour over the meat. Cover the roasting pan with a lid or wrap well with foil.
- Roast for 3 to 4 hours until meat is cooked to at least 160° F and vegetables are tender.
- This recipe is perfect as a “cook once, eat all week meal”.
- Turnips are a lower potassium and carbohydrate alternative to potatoes.
- Adjust the portion of beef according to your meal plan for higher or lower protein.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 97 mg
Sodium 107 mg
Potassium 498 mg
Phosphorus 190 mg
Calcium 58 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Brittany from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register