- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 pound loaf of day-old French bread
- 8 tablespoons jelly, any flavor
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 1% low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cut bread loaf into 16 slices.
- Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese on each slice of bread. Top with 1 tablespoon jelly and add bread slice to make a sandwich. Repeat until 8 sandwiches are made.
- Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and place the 8 sandwiches in the dish.
- Beat eggs and then mix with milk and vanilla extract. Pour over the bread slices, turning to coat the slices evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover pan with foil and bake for 1 hour. The last 5 minutes of baking, remove the foil to brown the top.
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature so it is easier to spread.
- Serving suggestions: drizzle with syrup, garnish with fresh fruit and whipped cream or dust with powdered sugar.
- This recipe is a good source of protein and calories, a great choice for a high-energy breakfast. Try this different spin on French Toast. It is a good use for leftover bread. Also, preparing this recipe the night before leaves you with nothing left to do in the morning except bake and serve. It’s perfect for brunch.
- Compare breads and select the lower sodium brand.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 14 g
Carbohydrates 47 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 172 mg
Sodium 518 mg
Potassium 215 mg
Phosphorus 194 mg
Calcium 118 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 2 starch
- 2 fat
- 1 high-calorie
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Megan from Colorado.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register