- CKD non-dialysis
4 ounces frozen cooked shrimp
1 teaspoon Salt-free Cajun Seasoning (see DaVita.com recipe)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup beer
1/2 large egg
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups cooking oil
1 French baguette, 12-inch
4 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 cup iceberg lettuce
1 small Roma tomato
1 ounce low-sodium sweet pickles (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco® pepper sauce (optional)
- Thaw the shrimp. Pat dry, place in a small bowl and mix in the Cajun seasoning.
- Beat the egg and divide in half. (Discard or save and cook the unused other half.)
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, pepper, egg and beer. Whisk together until batter is smooth. Stir shrimp into the batter and mix to coat.
- Heat the cooking oil in a fryer or skillet to 375° F. Using tongs, dip each shrimp, one at a time, into the fryer. Cook until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove shrimp and drain on paper towels.
- Shred the lettuce. Slice the tomato into thin slices and chop the pickles.
- Cut the French baguette in half to make two 6-inch sandwiches. Slice each half open and spread mayonnaise on the top piece. Place half the lettuce, tomato and pickle on each bottom piece and top with half the shrimp. Sprinkle with Tabasco pepper sauce if desired. Close sandwich together and enjoy.
- Compare labels on French baguette and pick the lowest sodium brand.
- Using cooked frozen shrimp makes the recipe quicker to prepare. Look for medium to large shrimp that are shelled, deveined and tail removed. If preferred use fresh Gulf shrimp.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 24 g
Carbohydrates 48 g
Fat 24 g
Cholesterol 157 mg
Sodium 529 mg
Potassium 422 mg
Phosphorus 270 mg
Calcium 127 mg
Fiber 2.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 3 starch
- 3 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Sara from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register