- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3/4 pound chicken breasts, bone in, with skin
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 package Pillsbury Crescent Original® rolls
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Set cream cheese out to soften. Melt butter.
- Cook, drain, and chop broccoli.
- Boil chicken breasts until done; drain, remove skin and bones, and dice into pieces.
- Mix together chicken, softened cream cheese, melted butter and broccoli.
- Open crescent rolls and form a rectangle with 2 rolls. Pinch seam to seal and stretch rectangle.
- Place 1/4th of chicken mixture in center; fold edges across to make a turnover. Press edges to seal.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until rolls are browned.
- Take a look at Chicken Squares as they are baking in oven periodically to make sure they don’t get too brown.
- This is a higher sodium entrée. To keep sodium in check, complete the meal with low-sodium items such as salad, low-sodium dressing and fruit.
- The chicken bones and skin add extra flavor during cooking. Fourteen ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts may be substituted for bone-in breasts if desired.
- Freeze or refrigerate broth from boiling the chicken for later use in a recipe that calls for low-sodium chicken broth.
- If fat-free cream cheese is substituted, fat is reduced to 16 grams and sodium is 577 mg.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 509 mg
Potassium 210 mg
Phosphorus 174 mg
Calcium 22 mg
Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Lori from Pennsylvania.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register